Top Five Cool Tools and Equipment We Get To Use While Doing Our Jobs by Sean Wilson
In my 24 years on the job there are many tools that I have seen used, and used myself. Some are good and some not so good. The five below are coolest I have used in some of the jobs I have done.
1. Fiber Optic Fusion Splicer: Fusion splicing is the process of fusing or welding two fibers together usually by an electric arc. (What is not cool about making two pieces of fiber fuse into one?)
2. Scissor or Boom Lift: A hydraulically powered lift used to get to high, hard to reach areas above ground level. These can reach up to 60 feet; 60 feet will make your knuckles turn white!
3. Mule Tape: A pulling cord that is used by utility companies for pulling fiber optic cable and others thru underground duct systems. I have never been able to break it even pulling it with a backhoe or pickup truck.
4. Powder Actuated Nail Gun: A powder-actuated tool, often called a "Hilti gun" or a "Ramset gun" after their manufacturing companies, is a nail gun used in construction and manufacturing to join materials to hard substrates such as steel and concrete. Known as "direct fastening", this technology relies on a controlled explosion created by small chemical propellant charge, similar to the process that discharges a firearm. Just make sure people know this is going to be used when you use it.
5. Exothermic Welding: Known as exothermic bonding, thermic welding is a welding that employs molten metal to permanently join the conductors. The process employs an exothermic reaction of a thermite composition to heat the metal, and requires no external source of heat or current. Some common molds are a tee or cross.
This is just a sample of the cool tools and equipment we get to use in completing our jobs. These tools are used in many different locations, Schools, Hospitals, Manufacturing, Data Centers, Warehouses, Utility and many more.